Located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of the Beartooth Highway’s junction with the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (WY 296) a stop at Lake Creek Falls provides travelers an opportunity to view one of the few remaining structures of the original road across the Beartooth Plateau.
Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps the Lake Creek Falls bridge shows the craftsmanship of the Work Project Administration projects of the Depression Era. The granite rocks used for construction were hand shaped with stone chisels so that each fit snugly in place. The bridge was completed in 1932.
Increased traffic, wider, longer luxurious automobiles and the introduction of motor homes necessitated an enlarged bridge and in 1974 a new steel bridge structure was completed across Lake Creek.
The site is not well marked and easy to miss but worth the visit! Pull outs are located at each end of the bridge site, and an approximately 1200 foot long walking trail takes visitors to the original bridge site.
Hope you find this information useful!
Kim Capron – Friends of the Beartooth All-American Road